International Women’s Day (IWD) is celebrated on March 8 every year.
It is a focal point in the movement for women’s rights.
After the Socialist Party of America organized a Women’s Day on February 28, 1909, in New York, the 1910 International Socialist Woman’s Conference suggested a Women’s Day be held annually.
After women gained suffrage in Soviet Russia in 1917, March 8 became a national holiday there.
The day was then predominantly celebrated by the socialist movement and communist countries until it was adopted in 1975 by the United Nations.
Today, International Women’s Day is a public holiday in some countries and largely ignored elsewhere.
In some places, it is a day of protest; in others, it is a day that celebrates womanhood.
1. “I think women are foolish to pretend they are equal to men, they are far superior and always have been.”
– William Golding, Author
2. “I don’t like the word “sacrifice” or “compromise”. Anyone who is too into this sacrificing concept has very low self esteem because they want to be martyrs at the drop of the hat. No! Stand up for yourself!”
– Sushmita Sen, Indian actress, Former Miss Universe
3. “If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman”
– Former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher
4. “Don’t let anyone tell you you’re weak because you’re a woman.”
– Mary Kom, Indian Olympic boxer
5. “Every man needs a woman when his life is a mess, because just like the game of chess – it’s the queen that protects the king.” – Unknown
6. “No country can ever truly flourish if it stifles the potential of its women and deprives itself of the contributions of half of its citizens.” – Michelle Obama, Former First Lady of the United States
7. “Power’s not given to you. You have to take it.” — Beyonce, Award-Winning Singer
8. “We realise the importance of our voice when we are silenced”
– MalalaYousafzai, Nobel peace prize winner
9. When you educate a woman, you set her free.
– Oprah Winfrey, Media mogul
10. When women put their heads together, powerful things happen – Unknown
These uplifting quotes from powerful men and women speak of their experience and assure that women around the world have had to go through similar struggles to reach gender parity and fight for their rights and freedom.
Happy Women’s Day 2019!