Marriage is not only important to those who participate it’s important to God so much that there are hundred of things God says about the sacred union in his Word. In fact, marriage, with all its rewards and challenges, is the very metaphor Christ often uses to describe our individual relationships with Him.
Here are 7 Tips to Ensure the Success of Your Marriage:
- Have a Plan: Marriage is a lifetime commitment. It requires thoughtful planning. Take time out to review your plans for your family’s future. Set goals. Start planning your future today!
- Quality time: Couples need to take time out to enjoy each other’s company. Make this a regular or twice a month, fixed night every month. Make sure this date is “unmovable” and is a priority above all else. Start today!
- Quickly Forgive: Forgiveness is one of the foundations to building successful marriage. There will be times when your mate makes mistakes, causes hurt feelings and even frustration (and you will do the same!). JUST FORGIVE! Let go and let God!Remember 1 Peter 3:7 says, “Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.”
- Listen! This is for us Men mostly. We have a hard time listening to our partners sometimes. Make it a priority in your Marriage to not just hear your partner, but listen to what your partner is saying in an effort to understand. If you can listen you can communicate better. Listening to the needs of your partner will always keep communication open and will set the stage to help you both endure difficult times.
- Don’t Fall Into The “For Granted Effect” Years of being in holy matrimony can sometimes make us comfortable. Still, it’s important to never take your partner for granted. Even though you have both promised to remain with one another for better or for worse, it’s necessary to understand that their presence is not guaranteed. Be respectful to one another both privately and publicly, cherish your partner and treat them well every day.
- Prayer Is Key: Ask the Holy Spirit for help in your Marriage. Take it seriously. Pray together always. Do not leave the Holy Spirit out of your Marriage.
- The Holy Spirit is your best ally in marriage and when you invite God into your union, you’re never alone! Remember, Matthew 18:20 says, “For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”
- Avoid Comparison: Do not get sucked into comparing your wife or husband with other people. This breeds resentment, bitterness, insecurities and unhappiness. Understand your marriage is like a fingerprint. It’s different from any other union your friends, family and acquaintances may share.