From scriptures, we discover that God has made a master plan of success for us in all aspects of life (Joshua1:8). That is, it is His divine will for us to be successful in life. He is interested in the ultimate realization of our success. However, it is sad that most Christians have not come to the knowledge of this truth. They see themselves as never-do-well and good-for-nothing. They, therefore, yield to the oppressive lies of the devil and the world that they should not and cannot make it here on earth. Therefore, it is important to know that success is not a gift but a choice. While it is the birthright of all saints, the individual’s choice determines his/her portion. So, our choice to succeed generates in us the force to succeed.
However, success cannot be achieved in isolation. There are triggers which will land us right into it.
What then, are the Triggers for Success?
- Opportunity: There are two closely related words –opportune and fortune. The dictionary defines ‘opportune’ to mean happening at the time that is most convenient for someone or most likely to lead to success. ‘Fortune’ or ‘good fortune’ is defined as good luck, success or good experiences. Therefore, I define a fortunate person as an ‘oppor-tunate’ person. That is, he is smart enough to grab a productive idea and put it to work; he is smart enough to know what will work and how to make it work. As it is written: Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you (Matthew 7:7, see also 20:6). Opportunity therefore is a discovered avenue for profiting. It is locating what will work and making it to work. Many people miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and it looks like work. There are ways of locating and utilising opportunities.
– By a search.
– By creating opportunities.
– By catching opportunities.
– By utilising opportunities.
- Creativity: This is the ability to create. Every event in life is invented. God is the Master Creator. Solomon said: The Lord by wisdom hath founded the earth; by understanding hath he established the heavens. By his knowledge the depths are broken up, and the clouds drop down the dew (Proverbs 3:19-20; see also Psalm 104:24). God’s creative secret is in His wisdom. That is, inside the Word of God is God’s creative ability and this is loaded in a person called Christ. Therefore, as joint-heirs with Christ, it means that we share in His nature. If He carries creative abilities, it also means that we too carry creative abilities. The Bible says: For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2:16). This connotes that we have the creative mind of Christ.
- Ability: It is from the root word ‘able.’ The ability to do something is the quality or skill that we have which makes it possible for us to do it. We need the trigger of ability to succeed because as long as we see ourselves as being unable to succeed, we will never have the ability to. In numbers 13, twelve people were sent out on a mission to spy out Canaan. Ten of them came back with a report of Israel’s inability to possess the land. But the men that went up with him said, We be not able to go up against the people; for they are stronger than we. And they brought up an evil report of the land which they had searched unto the children of Israel, saying, The land, through which we have gone to search it, is a land that eateth up the inhabitants thereof; and all the people that we saw in it are men of a great stature. And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight (Numbers 13:31-33). But Joshua and Caleb saw it differently. And Caleb stilled the people before Moses, and said, Let us go up at once, and possess it; for we are well able to overcome it (Numbers 13:30). They saw their ability to possess the land and they actually did, while the men who brought the evil report all died in the wilderness. Success has eluded many today because they see it as an impossible feat that cannot be attained. If we can’t see our ability to do a job or to succeed, we will never be able to succeed.
- Responsibility: Another word for responsibility is self discipline. That is, bringing ourselves under rules and laws in order to attain our ultimate goals in life. Responsibility requires that one positively responds to the demands of life or scriptures. To be outstandingly successful, we must positively apply ourselves to certain demands of life and Scriptures.
- The Bible says: For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel! For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me (1 Corinthians 9:16-17). Necessity was laid upon Paul to preach the gospel, not by God, but by himself. Why? He wanted to be a successful preacher and soul winner.
In conclusion, we can never be in control of the affairs of life without self-control. It is what puts us in charge. So, if we are striving for mastery (success), then we must exercise self control. There is no greatness without responsibility; so let’s be responsible.