Check Out Why People Don’t Give In The Church
Giving is considered in the Bible as one of the service to God (Deuteronomy 16:16, Exodus 23:15), but it is very unfortunate that many people do not keep to the word of God that said; “None shall appear before me empty-handed” rather, many go extra mile to criticize those that give their money and other resources to the church as well as the pastors who tell their members to give.
Below are my five points on why some people don’t give:
1. We are not familiar with what the Bible says about giving. We are not aware of the Bible’s teaching on money and on We have not spent enough time reading God’s Word to see what He says about it. So we miss out on the abundance of wisdom and direction found in the Bible on this important subject.
2. We don’t feel like we make enough money to give. Some feel that generosity is an act reserved for the wealthy, those that have more than enough. What difference could our few dollars make anyway?
3. We have loads of debt. Debt is a generosity killer. We are not able to live with open hands because they are chained to the credit card company. We feel the stress caused by living on the edge of a financial disaster. Paying our bills becomes the priority, not giving.
4. We don’t trust the church. Our first place of generosity should be our local church. Unfortunately, we often withhold our giving for the church for a variety of reasons that boil down to a lack of trust. We don’t trust the leadership. We don’t trust the financial management. And we don’t trust the impact the church is making.
5. We don’t trust God. We act as if God is not the owner of everything, and that He does not hold all the resources we will ever need in His hands. We don’t trust that He will take care of us, that He will give us those resources He holds. So we hold tightly to our money. Even though it was God who entrusted us with His resources, we don’t trust Him.